Young Authors’ Local Chair Timeline 2013-14
- Attend NCRA Leadership Conference in Boone, if possible
- Get info from folks who did go to leadership, if you weren’t able to attend.
- Plan/prepare how to give info to your local council
- Give information to local council:
- Writing ideas
- Entry forms
- YA T-shirts and logo
- Organize local project
- Find “school representatives” to disseminate information to individual schools
- Create any committees necessary to help you carry out project
- **Fill out “Intent to Participate in Young Authors’ Project” form
DEADLINE OCT. 31
- Help schools with writings, if necessary
- Field questions
- Communicate with state chair as needed
- Encourage school representatives
- Collect writings
- Organize local judging
- Judge entries and prepare them for submission
- Make decisions about local celebration/local book/etc.
- Prepare hard copies for state competition
- Make sure entry form is completely filled out and signed
- Make sure local council is filled in correctly and consistently on entry form
- **DEADLINE FOR Excel file/HARD COPY ENTRIES/E-Copies – POSTMARKED BY FIRST FRIDAY IN DEC. (Dec. 6, 2013)
i. Make sure you SAVE both a hard copy and e-copy. Include e-copies when you send all submissions by December 6, 2013, the first Friday in December. To be sure you have entries ready for publication, ask teachers to correct and format all copies of entries in case any of their students become state winners! Note: Edited and formatted state winners should be sent no later than February 3.
ii. Accompanying council information form must be included with contact info for YA chair and two people from local council who will help with state judging!
- JUDGING FIRST SATURDAY IN JAN. (Jan. 4, 2014). PLEASE SEND two REPRESENTATIVES FROM YOUR COUNCIL TO ASSIST WITH JUDGING
- Notify winners as soon as you get info from state
- Proofread, correct, and format entries
- Submit proofread, correctly formatted e-copies (.doc or.docx)
- DEADLINE FOR CORRECTED E-COPIES IS 1ST MONDAY IN FEB. (Feb. 3, 2014)
- Email attachment
- Word format (.doc or .docx)
- Times New Roman’ font
- Title — first letter of each word capitalized, 12 point
- Body, 10 point
- At end, skip two lines, then
- First and last name
- Notify winners, if you have not.
- Send out invitations for state YA celebration (and local celebration if you are hosting one)
Invitations to the state celebrations will come to YA chairs in an email attachment, and chairs will need to make copies and disseminate to winners.
- Plan local celebration, if you have not
- Attend state celebration at Raleigh Convention Center (Sat., March 15, 2014)
- Pick up books/medallions for winners who didn’t attend
- Disseminate books/medallions to winners
Feb., March, April, May
- Local celebration
- Notes for next year
Any questions/concerns may be directed to Tonnye Fletcher at firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending emails, please use “YA” somewhere in the subject line. When sending by email the entries selected for the state Young Authors’ book, use “YA state winners from NAME of COUNCIL” in the subject line.