Scoring Rubric for Young Authors’ Project
Things to Remember:
- Any organizational structure/genre is acceptable.
- Each selection needs a title.
- K-Grade 1 entries should have no more than 200 words.
- Grades 2-8 should have no more than 300 words.
- Grade 9-Adults should have no more than 500 words.
- Artwork may accompany writing, but it does not count in the judging.
____ Stimulating Ideas
- The writing creates an experience for the reader.
- The writing has a clear focus on a main idea.
- The writing has interesting details that support the main idea.
____ Logical Organization
- The writing gives the reader a clear picture of the subject.
- The writing has a clear sequence of events.
- The writing’s events or details are related to the topic.
- The writing grabs the reader’s attention.
____ Personal Voice
- The writing reveals the writer’s thoughts and feelings.
- The writing holds the attention of the reader.
- The writing shows the writer’s interest in the subject.
____ Conventions/Mechanics (See “Expectations for Conventions.”)
Each reader will award a total score of:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
not evident excellent
Provided by Tonnye Fletcher, State Chairperson, Young Authors, 2013-2014.