“Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” — Frederick Douglass
Lynn Allred leads the Newspaper in Education Committee. Newspaper in Education programs encourage and support the use of print and online newspapers and archived editions of newspapers for gathering and understanding relevant news and information.
- Consult your area newspapers to find out what newspapers offer.
- Share effective teaching ideas with others in your school and school system
- Invite reporters, editors and education reporters or coordinators to speak at local reading council meetings.
- Celebrate NIE Week during the first week in March; list the event on your Honor Council application.
- Explain a lesson in an application for the Dave Jones Award for the Advancement of Youth Readership.
- Attend sessions at the NCRA conference and other workshops that focus on how to use local and state news and information.
- Collaborate with teachers in your school and community to develop ways to integrate newspapers at different grade levels and across subject areas.
Click here to contact NCRA President, Treana Bowling.
Members, find contact information for committee chairpersons in the Members Only section under Leaders, NCRA Committees.