Scholarship—Information and Guidelines
Each year the North Carolina Reading Association (NCRA) offers scholarships to NCRA members who are planning to pursue a master’s degree or doctorate in literacy or a related field. Both teachers and full-time students are eligible to apply, and the scholarship award may range from $500 to $1000. Please review the criteria below and consider applying for a scholarship from NCRA.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must be:
- Residents of North Carolina and.
- Active members of NCRA and/or a local council for one year.
Selections will be made from applicants who have accomplished the following:
- Shown a professional commitment to literacy
- Demonstrated teaching competence
- Demonstrated potential for making a significant contribution to the field of reading or literacy
- Become involved with NCRA at the local or state level
Criteria for Submitting Applications:
- Complete the scholarship application, available on the NCRA website, or obtain the application from NCRA’s Past President Jane Kline, email@example.com.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation and send both by mail in sealed envelopes. One letter should come from your Principal/Assistant Principal or Supervisor, and one from a local reading council officer. (If there is no local council, a letter from a co-worker or professor may be substituted). Full-time students may substitute letters of recommendation from their academic advisers and professors who have taught them in a graduate-level literacy class within the last two semesters or who serve as their thesis or dissertation advisers.
- If you are enrolled in a program, include a copy of your acceptance letter.
- Submit a vita or resume and official copies of college transcripts.
- Complete and submit the application to Past President Jane Kline through email no later than February 1, 2017.
- Include all required materials in the same envelope if mailed or attach all but the two letters of recommendation to your email. Use Scholarship in the subject line of any email
If you have questions please email Jane Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org.