2016-17 Scholarship—Information and Guidelines
Each year the North Carolina Reading Association (NCRA) offers scholarships to NCRA members who are planning to pursue a master’s degree or doctorate in literacy or a related field. Both teachers and full-time students are eligible to apply and the scholarship award may range from $500 to $1000. Please review the criteria below and consider applying for a scholarship from NCRA.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must be:
- Residents of North Carolina and
- Active members of NCRA and/or a local council for one year.
Selections will be made from applicants who have accomplished the following:
- Shown a professional commitment to literacy
- Demonstrated teaching competence
- Demonstrated potential for making a significant contribution to the field of reading or literacy
- Become involved with NCRA at the local and/or state level
Criteria for Submitting Applications:
- Complete the scholarship application, available on the NCRA website, or obtain the application from NCRA’s Past President, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation and send both in sealed envelopes by mail along with the hard copies of your application. One letter should come from your Principal/Assistant Principal or Supervisor, and the other from a local reading council officer. (If there is no local council, a letter from a co-worker or professor may be substituted). Full-time students may substitute letters of recommendation from their academic advisers and professors who have taught them in a graduate-level literacy class within the last two semesters or who serve as the academic adviser or thesis/dissertation adviser.
- If currently enrolled in a university program, submit a vita or resume and copy of graduate transcripts.
- If recently admitted and have taken no graduate courses, send a copy of your acceptance letter and vita.
- Sign page 3 of the application and submit hard copy (or electronic copy) with other components.
- Complete and submit the application to Past President, Jane Kline and mail hard copies or email electronic copies) of all documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than February 26, 2017.
- Include all required materials in the same envelope when mailed including the two letters of recommendation. Write Scholarship on attention line of envelope.
- Write Scholarship in the subject line of any email regarding questions about above to: email@example.com.
- Deadline for submitting applications is: February 26, 2016 to. Submit electronic application and documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Jane Kline, Past President, 6409 Pernod Way, Raleigh, NC 27613